Thanks to a cartoon sponge with buck teeth, Lady Antebellum’s Hillary Scott, Dave Haywood and Charles Kelley can add a Tony Awards nomination for Best Original Score to their list of accolades.
SpongeBob SquarePants, Patrick Star, Sandy Cheeks, Squidward, Mr. Krabs and the rest of the motley crew from Bikini Bottom hit the Broadway stage in November 2017 for SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical. Directed by Tina Landau, the musical featured original songs from a bevy of artists, including Lady Antebellum, whose offering, “Chop to the Top,” was performed as SpongeBob and Sandy climb a mountain.
Other artists who penned original songs include David Bowie, Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Yolanda Adams, Sara Bareilles, Jonathan Coulton, Alex Ebert of Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros, The Flaming Lips, John Legend, Cyndi Lauper, Panic! At the Disco, Plain White T’s, They Might Be Giants and T.I.
Check out Lady A’s competition.
Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre
- Angels in America, Adrian Sutton
- The Band’s Visit, David Yazbek
- Frozen, Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
- Mean Girls, Jeff Richmond and Nell Benjamin
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical, Music & Lyrics: Yolanda Adams, Steven Tyler & Joe Perry of Aerosmith, Sara Bareilles, Jonathan Coulton, Alex Ebert of Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, The Flaming Lips, Lady Antebellum, Cyndi Lauper & Rob Hyman, John Legend, Panic! at the Disco, Plain White T’s, They Might Be Giants, T.I., and Domani & Lil’C
The 72nd annual Tony Awards will take place on June 10 at Radio City Music Hall.
photo by Jason Simanek