Riding the momentum of his RIAA-certified gold single, “You Broke Up With Me,” Walker Hayes released his new album, Boom, on Dec. 8.
As you may be able to glean from some of the song titles on the 10-tune offering—including “Shut Up Kenny,” “Dollar Store” and “Prescriptions”—Walker’s album is just as unorthodox as his lead single.
The father of six children—with number seven on the way—sat down with Kix Brooks of American Country Countdown to talk about his new album, which is the fulfillment of his dream since moving to Nashville 12 years ago.
“Sonically, it’s all about beats,” says Walker. “Every single song—deep or, you know, shallow like ‘You Broke Up with Me’–they all are infectious. And I love that about it. But they’re all just really intimate stories from my life, like things that I would say in real life, like ‘you broke up with me.’ They’re all quirky, for lack of a better term. You can tell that by just the titles. They’re pretty random. But it gets very deep and it gets very fun, so there’s a little bit for everybody.”
Walker will launch his 13-city Good as Gold Tour on Feb. 1 in Uncasville, Conn. Walker will makes stops in Boston, Chicago, Indianapolis, Detroit and more before capping the tour on April 27 in San Martin, Calif.
Boom Track List and Songwriters
- “Beautiful” (Walker Hayes)
- “Shut Up Kenny” (Walker Hayes, Pete Good, AJ Babcock)
- “You Broke Up With Me” (Walker Hayes, Thomas Archer, Kylie Sackley)
- “Halloween” feat. Nicolle Galyon (Walker Hayes, Nicolle Galyon)
- “Dollar Store” (Walker Hayes, Scott Stepakoff)
- “Beer In The Fridge” (Walker Hayes, Shane McAnally, Matt Jenkins, Scot Sherrod)
- “Beckett” (Walker Hayes, Shane McAnally)
- “Mind Candy” (Walker Hayes, Thomas Archer)
- “Prescriptions” (Walker Hayes, Matt McGinn)
- “Craig” (Walker Hayes)