While Sturgill Simpson (Best Country Album), Maren Morris (Best Solo Performance), Lori McKenna (Best Country Song) and Pentatonix featuring Dolly Parton (Best Country Duo/Group Performance) took home Grammy gold in the country categories, a bevy of country stars copped Grammys outside the country genre.
Showcasing their diversified talents, Willie Nelson, Joey+Rory, Hillary Scott and Vince Gill earned Grammys in categories such as pop, contemporary Christian, roots gospel and Americana.
Country Stars Who Won Grammys in Non-Country Genres
- Best Roots Gospel Album: Hymns—Joey + Rory
- Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album: Willie Nelson Sings Gershwin—Willie Nelson
- Best Contemporary Christian Music Album: Love Remains—Hillary Scott and the Scott Family
- Best Contemporary Christian Music Performance—”Thy Will”—Hillary Scott and the Scott Family
- Best Americana Roots Song—”Kid Sister”—Vince Gill
“We just want our music to make something better for somebody somewhere,” said Hillary Scott in her acceptance speech. “And it’s our dream to see this world become a more beautiful place for anyone that shares in that dream with us. Thank you, we love you and let’s do better.”
“When we made the album, I believed that it was going to be special to my wife [Joey] and I, but I didn’t realize it was gonna be that special for so many other people,” said Rory Feek backstage at the Grammys. “And when we were recording the album, we completely believed she would be okay. And so, we didn’t go into recording this album like it was her last. It just became her last.”
Congrats to all of our non-country country winners.