Don Williams may have announced his retirement from performing last year at the age of 76, but that won’t stop more than a dozen country superstars from paying tribute to the 50-year career of the legendary artist.
Dierks Bentley, Brandy Clark, Garth Brooks, Chris Stapleton, Jason Isbell and Lady Antebellum are just some of the country stars working with Don’s producer, Garth Fundis, to honor Don’s career with a special tribute album, Gentle Giants: The Songs of Don Williams.
The album, which consists of 11 of Don’s biggest hits, including “Tulsa Time” performed by Pistol Annies, “Some Broken Hearts Never Mend” sung by Dierks Bentley and “I Believe in You” covered by Brandy Clark, is set to drop on May 26.
“It has been my privilege to work frequently with Don through the years, and I’m proud to honor him with this new project,” said Garth Fundis, the album’s producer. “All of the artists on the album have been huge Don Williams fans for years. It makes the entire project very personal and very meaningful.”
Don, who was nicknamed “Gentle Giant,” was inducted in the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2010, along with friends Jimmy Dean, Ferlin Husky and producer Billy Sherrill.
Gentle Giants: The Songs of Don Williams Track Listing:
1. “Tulsa Time” – Pistol Annies
2. “I Believe in You” – Brandy Clark
3. “We’ve Got a Good Fire Goin'” – Lady Antebellum
4. “Some Broken Hearts Never Mend” – Dierks Bentley
5. “Amanda” – Chris Stapleton feat. Morgane Stapleton
6. “Till The Rivers All Run Dry” – Alison Krauss
7. “Love Is On A Roll” – John Prine feat. Roger Cook
8. “If I Needed You” – Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires
9. “Maggie’s Dream” – Trisha Yearwood
10. “Lord I Hope This Day is Good” – Keb’ Mo’
11. “Good Ole Boys Like Me” – Garth Brooks
Photo by Jason Kempin/Getty Images