Lisa plays game show host and Tammy is the impartial judge as Jim, Bob and our new Deputy Editor Chris Parton face off over some country music trivia.
- Lisa Konicki, Editor in Chief (and Trivia Game Host)
- Jim Casey, Managing Editor
- Chris Parton, Deputy Editor
- Bob Paxman, Senior Writer
- Tammy Ragusa, Senior Writer (and Trivia Game Judge)
Trivia Game Rules
- Round 1: Each question is 5 points
- Round 2: Each question is 10 points
- Final Question: Contestants can bid up to 100% of their total points.
Trivia Game Questions – Round 1
- Who collaborated with Willie Nelson to record the No. 1 hit “Beer for My Horses” in 2003?
- What was the name of Garth Brooks’ rock and roll alter ego in the late ’90s?
- Which famous Central California city is home to Merle Haggard and Buck Owens?
- How many albums has Luke Bryan released in his career, NOT including Spring Break EPs?
- The following lyrics are from which country song? If I could be the fire in your firefly,
The cool in the rain,
The spark in your eye,
The answer to your prayer,
And the faith that sets you free
- How many country artists have won American Idol? Name them.
- What is the only song by Chely Wright to chart No. 1 on the Billboard charts?
- Who was the first woman to win Country Music Entertainer of Year at the CMA Awards?
- Who did Blake Shelton get his first win with on The Voice?
- What is the opening line for “Devil Went Down to Georgia” by the Charlie Daniels Band?
- How old was Johnny Cash when he died?
- What country artist holds the world record for more No. 1 hit singles than any other artist in the history of music?
- At the 1975 CMA Awards show, what did Charlie Rich do with the card that announced John Denver as the Entertainer of the Year?
- Who was the first country artist to sell over 10 million copies of an album?
- Apparently Hunter Hayes can play 30 different instruments. What instrument does he say he can’t play?
- “Good Ole Boys,” the theme song of the television show The Dukes of Hazzard, was sung by which country artist?
- What year did Carrie Underwood win American Idol?
- How many times did Brooks & Dunn win the CMA award for Best Vocal Duo?
- What was the name of George Strait’s farewell tour?
- What was the name of Miranda Lambert’s label debut album?
- The following lyrics are from which country song? My friends try to cheer me up
get together at the Pizza Hut
I didn’t have the heart to tell them that was our place
These sleepy streetlights on every sidewalk side street
Shed a light on everything that used to be
- What country singer is a former member of The Drive By Truckers?
- Only seven (7) women have won the CMA award for Entertainer of the Year. Name the two (2) women who have won the award twice in it’s 48-year history.
- Name three (3) country artists from Oklahoma.
- Which four (4) of country music’s biggest artists made up the supergroup The Highwaymen? Name them.
Trivia Game Questions – Round 2
- The following lyrics are from which country song? I’m going out tonight-I’m feelin’ alright
Gonna let it all hang out
Wanna make some noise-really raise my voice
Yeah, I wanna scream and shout
No inhibitions-make no conditions
- Who is taller?
- Blake Shelton
- Trace Adkins
- Sam Hunt
- Brett Eldredge
- What is the opening line of “Friends In Low Places”?
- What was Conway Twitty’s real name?
- Which artist had the first country album to yield five (5) No. 1 singles?
- Who had a No. 1 hit in 2001 with the song “Ain’t Nothin ’Bout You”?
- What singer was married to Hawkshaw Hawkins when he died in the 1963 plane crash that also killed Patsy Cline?
- What was the name of Billy Ray Cyrus’ medical series on the Pax TV channel?
- Who was Jessi Colter married to prior to marrying Waylon Jennings?
- In what movie did Reba make her feature film debut?
- What country music artist has been on the cover of Country Weekly the most in our 21-year history?
- Which country artist is the youngest to ever win a Grammy award?
- Tim McGraw played opposite Sandra Bullock in what major motion picture?
- Which country singer is Miley Cyrus’ godmother?
- Trisha Yearwood’s version of “How Do I Live” was featured in what major motion picture?
- In Garth Brook’s music video for “The Dance” there is a shot of a country couple dancing. Who was that?
- Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock
- Clint Black and Lisa Hartman Black
- Keith Whitley and Lorrie Morgan
- George Jones and Tammy Wynette
- Which former Beatle had a hit duet with Buck Owens?
- What was Reba’s character’s last name on the TV sitcom, Reba?
- Who did Natalie Maines replace in the Dixie Chicks?
- “Boots On” was a 2009 hit for which Mississippi-born artist in 1975?
- What was Jason Aldean’s job before becoming a singer?
- How many kids does Dierks Bentley have? BONUS POINTS FOR NAMING THEM
- Name two (2) of the three (3) country artists that appeared on Celebrity Apprentice.
- The following lyrics are from which country song? Baby tell me where’d you ever learn
To fight without sayin’ a word
Then waltz back into my life
Like it’s all gonna be alright
Don’t you know how much it hurts
- What crime did Merle Haggard serve time in prison for?
Trivia Game Questions – FINAL QUESTION
What was the first country studio album to debut at No. 1 in Billboard’s Top 200 album chart?
- Garth Brooks, No Fences
- Garth Brooks, Ropin’ the Wind
- Billy Ray Cyrus, Some Gave All
- Shania Twain, Come on Over
- Taylor Swift, Red
He Said/She Said
- “You said there would be no math!” Bob Paxman
- “He’s the foremost authority on George Strait in the world. If this was George Strait Trivia, I’d put [Bob Paxman] up against George himself.” Jim Casey
- “Gotcha Bob! What’s up?!” Chris Parton
- “If you didn’t know that, we would have to fire you.” Lisa Konicki
- “Look at Tammy, sitting on the couch, thinking she knows everything.” Lisa Konicki
- “Of course you did. That’s why you took that dramatic pause.” Jim Casey
- “My aunt Dolly.” Chris Parton
- “I don’t listen to a lot of tomatoes.” Jim Casey
- “Oh yeah. I got zero.” Jim Casey
The Writers Room, Ep. 6, 34 minutes